Monday, 21 January 2013

HULK SMASH!



I was recently asked to produce a thank you present for a comic fan which consisted of a picture of the Hulk surrounded by a load of wrecked scaffolding. The person to receive the piece owns and runs a scaffold company and is really in to the hulk. 

At first I was a bit hesitant as I don’t really like drawing big muscle bound hero types because I’m not that good at it, too much anatomy for my liking. Anyway, I said yes and went about sketching some composition thumbnails.

Here’s the composition I settled with:


I scanned this in to photoshop and enlarged to A4, it was originally about 4cm high. This was then converted to blue line and printed out. Using this as a guide I sketched out some rough pencils and began to get the image together. I spent quite a bit of time getting the ‘Hulk’ look and used various references for the muscle anatomy. I think you can tell it’s the Hulk and not just some stupid muscle dude.

Here’s the original pencils:


This was then scanned in to photoshop again where I played about with it to get the best out of the image. I defined his eyes a bit better, increased his roaring open mouth and moved his left arm to a more dynamic position which seemed to work a little better. I also added the logo of the company which the recipient of the piece owns.

From here I needed to scale up to A3. To do this I removed my monitor from its stand and laid it flat on the desk, essentially acting a light box. I enlarge the image on screen to fit the A3 paper and begin re-drawing the picture. It can be a bit cumbersome but it’s a technique I’ve developed out of necessity. I just hope it’s not doing any lasting damage to the monitor.

Here’s me with my ‘light box’ and the result of the tracing.



After this I filled in any missing details and essentially ended up with the same image in pencils at A3. When doing sequential I usually use blue lead but it doesn’t rub out half as easily as good old graphite. I usually use copier paper for sequential too as it’s cheap but I found using a thicker type of paper let me take advantage of inking techniques I don’t often use.

Here is the final inked piece for the Hulk fan:

So it’s scanned in and off to the new owner now but I was feeling pretty pleased with myself I thought I’d give it a go with some colour in Photoshop.

Behold! HULK SMASH!


No comments:

Post a Comment